Monday, March 10, 2014

Installing Indirect Water Heater



I have a SuperStor 40 Gal Indirect water heater it's 7 years old and may be starting to leak (it's up on blocks and I see a water stain every 3 or 4 days, in one corner) I was wondering how hard is it to cut out the old one and install a new one connecting it to the old connections. I have plenty of room and if I buy the same brand the connections are almost exact.
Thanks
Gregory

Is the water from the tank or from a safety valve?
Is it piped in copper or threaded iron?
Any pix?

It's all copper, put a jar underneath the pressure valve, keeps coming up empty. The leak is on the same side as the output and pressure valve.

Its easy for a person who does it all the time. Some of the challenges a home owner might face is that the connections might be in different places(some are on top and some are on the side). And depending on the valves you have, they might be bad and leak water past them, making it hard to solder. If you do it yourself, be sure to have atleast a 3+ hours to work on it incase something goes wrong.

Today I checked on it 5 or 6 times and nothing. I'll check in 2 days and there will be a small water stain. Nothing from the relief valve, I cleared it to make sure it was running O.K. and it was. I have the heater insulated with fiberglass wrap. I cannot feel any wet spots. Very strange.
Gregory

Does that tank have a lifetime warranty?

Nope, one year

One year? You were lucky to get 7 out of that one. Most of then have a 5 year warranty and they *usually* go bad shortly after that but you do get lucky sometimes. Just help your furnace and water heater and try to keep the area dry year round. Moisture is bad for them.






Tags: indirect, water, heater, pressure valve, water heater, water stain