Monday, March 10, 2014

Problem Connecting Ptac To Remote Thermostat

T-stat


GH =G


Y/W1 =Y


W2 =W1


R =R


C =C


But it didn't work. There is power to the t-stat, the fan will operate manually, but the PTAC does not respond to a call for heat or cooling. The idiot light on the control board signals either OK or thermocouple error. I should note that I've tried this with J2 on the T-stat set to electric and gas but neither work.


Any thoughts on proceed? I called Amana, who sent me to Goodman, who left me on hold for 25 minutes. Haven't tried Lux yet.


thanks,


Kiwanda



Is the fuse popped? Is the thermostat control switched to RMT?


Did you allow over 5 minutes to pass with a cooling demand present?



Finally got this working last night. While troubleshooting the setup I must have fixed a bad connection; when I reconnected it all after checking wiring, fuses, and the t-stat it worked.


I think the problem was likely the silly design of the main board on the PTAC. Rather than a terminal strip it just has 14 pins coming off the board. There's a little plastic housing that slips over the pins, and you must insert jumper wires with spring clips into the slots for the appropriate connections. I removed and reinstalled those after checking the everything and it magically worked.


I appreciate the help with this. After failing with the old Honeywell unit I was sure this new Lux would work fine. Glad it eventually did; it's already evident that having a real t-stat controlling this unit is far better than the primitive dial control it was delivered with.


regards,


kiwanda



You have a 3.5KW heat strip. Set that stat for electric heat.







Tags: problem, ptac, thermostat, after checking